Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

05/13/2017 Weekend Update

Cobra
Site Admin

05/13/2017 Weekend Update

Post by Cobra »

The institution buying and selling chart from stocktiming shows more accumulation than distribution this week. However the bullish crossover wasn't decisive so it means range market.
Attachments
inst b sell.jpg
inst b sell.jpg (67.74 KiB) Viewed 4822 times

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
Cobra
Site Admin

Re: 05/13/2017 Weekend Update

Post by Cobra »

please don't forget our weekly sentiment poll here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2464

Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

No stock picks this week. Here's the latest strong stocks count. don't forget we're at all time high.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2466&p=240489#p240489

Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

"...There Are Now More Indexes Than Stocks"
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-1 ... xes-stocks
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
TraderJoe

Post by TraderJoe »

Back in 1986 the Stock Trader's Almanac discovered the position switching strategy that corresponds with the "Sell in May and go away" strategy that has been around for decades.

If you invested $10,000 in the Dow in 1950 and never touched it you would have a gain of $860,000 today.

However, if you used the best six months switching strategy with a MACD entry point, you would have generated $2,496,586 in profits.
kongen

Post by kongen »

I went shopping for some retail stocks to short (bear call spreads) and was surprised to see that many of the worst consumer cyclicals have "Buy" ratings by Ned Davis. And he has given them Buy ratings for some time. For example, Guess (GES) - it has been in a steady decline for 6 years, losing 80 %. ! haven't yet read his reports. This is interesting - anyone here know what's going on?
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

This is perplexing to me: The highs on the SPX
Over this long bull run, why was SPX able to notch 100 and more new highs here and there
And yet, over the past two years, she’s been hard pressed to get more than 50 new highs
The answer is not that the number of issues has changed, as the SPX has consistently had +/- 500 issues throughout
What is the answer? Anyone?
[WEEKLY chart]
514spx highs.png.png
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
user13

Post by user13 »

Al_Dente wrote:This is perplexing to me: The highs on the SPX
Over this long bull run, why was SPX able to notch 100 and more new highs here and there
And yet, over the past two years, she’s been hard pressed to get more than 50 new highs
The answer is not that the number of issues has changed, as the SPX has consistently had +/- 500 issues throughout
[WEEKLY chart]
514spx highs.png.png

Looks to have changed with the end of QE
QED

Post by QED »

Al_Dente wrote:This is perplexing to me: The highs on the SPX
[WEEKLY chart]
514spx highs.png.png
I think fewer stocks are participating in the $SPX rally.

To visualize this better, put $SPXA200R on your weekly chart as a “Price” lower indicator and the negative divergence is very apparent.

It probably also has something to do with the growth of ETF’s over that same period which effectively pimp the “best” stocks in the $SPX and marginalize the rest.
Everyone wants to follow the winners …

Edit: Additionally, look at the price ratio of XLE:SPY over that same period on your weekly chart. The energy sector use to be a major component of $SPX, and now it is down to a little over 6%. Its importance to the economy has not changed that dramatically over that same period of time, thus the energy sector is now acting as a headwind on the economy (and $SPX) instead of a tailwind.
Last edited by QED on Mon May 15, 2017 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
QED

Post by QED »

Note to everyone: If you want to be bullish in this market at these levels right now,
please make sure that you at least have a "Plan B" ...