Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

10/28/2011 Intraday Watering

Cobra
Site Admin

Re: 10/28/2011 Intraday Watering

Post by Cobra »

KENA wrote:Can this be said that we now have 3 attempts at the high today..Yes it is a boring day.
yes, could be an Ascending Triangle, if you want to read bullish way. I have no idea but to wait.
Attachments
1.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
mac769

Post by mac769 »

Al_Dente wrote:I could get a cavity waiting for something/anything to break here
So for the benefit of BB52x (who doesn’t know short from borscht), and for other newbies, here’s a cut/paste from my notes for the Short Sale 101 class.
Some of the best shorting/covering stories are found in ALL the 1920s/30s classic books. The old terminology was “short-against-the-box.” (Shorts have to “borrow” shares from someone long in order to accomplish a short sale). Old-time clerks in vintage visors and garter arm-bands would physically move the paper stock certificate from the owner’s (long) safe deposit box, and put the certificate in the borrower’s box (short seller’s safe deposit box), and then move it back again when the short-seller bought the stock back (“covered”), to return the borrowed shares to the owner …. day-by-day, an antique physical accounting system ….The terminology evolved to “short verses box” meaning the sale of borrowed stock, then “short v box,” today it is simply known as “short sale” or “sell-to-open”.

My favorite shorting story comes from the 19th century, when Nathan Rothschild was the big gorilla in the London Exchange. Those days his “high-tech indicators” were homing pigeons (I kid u not). Everyone knew about Rothschild’s early-alert-pigeon system (they would watch pigeons return to his estate on the hill), and all would pile-on whenever Rothschild “pigeon-traded.”
His most famous pigeon was the one that carried the earliest “news” of Napoleon’s defeat at Waterloo…very bullish for the market. Rothschild knew that all of his “peers” watched for pigeons, and he knew they would follow his trades, so he calmly went down to the exchange floor and started SHORTING everything in sight … causing quite a crash …. Rothschild then turned around, covered all his shorts, and started buying everything in sight, making a KILLING on the way down, and again on the way up.
History books confirm that his “news” indeed arrived a full day before the UK government knew of their own victory.
really nice story :)

this is why it pays out to look for contrarian signals and not follow blindly the lemmings into the abyss (which imho is right now happening with the so called "Final Euro solution")
noob

Post by noob »

pidge66 wrote:Cobra, are you expecting a 2 legged pull back before yesterday's high is retested? If so, I think the triangle should resolve to the down side for the 2nd leg. Thoughts? TIA.
Same question, especially considering the NYMO is overbought.
CognitiveDissonance

Post by CognitiveDissonance »

GreedyKojiro wrote:
tdo722 wrote:vix hits a new low on 5min chart but we have yet to hit a new high. i'm going long starting now. :)

I feel the rocket is taking off in 5,4,3,...
Yup, I just loaded a new batch of TNA too :)
I don't know how long your going to hold for, but check the vix on the daily. When it taps the bottom of the Bollinger it tends to spring up.
@cognitivebias1
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

pidge66 wrote:Cobra, are you expecting a 2 legged pull back before yesterday's high is retested? If so, I think the triangle should resolve to the down side for the 2nd leg. Thoughts? TIA.
Not expecting 2 leg down. I'm pretty much clueless.

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
janez

Post by janez »

Petsamo wrote:
lqiantobe wrote:Corba~ can you please give some comments on AMZN?
I'm not Cobra, but I shop AMZN almost as frequently as I shop WMT.
Be sure to use Cobra's AMZN link, man!
Me XMan

Post by Me XMan »

EURO is toast IMO
mac769 wrote:
gator11 wrote:anyone have any thoughts on the Ted Spread staying elevated during this rally. Typically this should fall during healthy rallies. Correct?
Yes, this is exactly what I am concerned about, the Treasuries seem to look through the "smoke and mirrors" solution of the Eurocrats, so the chart looks accordingly...

and btw, who wants to be long Euro and short USD over the weekend?
pidge66

Post by pidge66 »

Cobra wrote:
I agree. This triangle really throws a curve ball at us.
xfradnex

Post by xfradnex »

xfradnex wrote:Just had Huge SSO head fake on high volume of day. Spy did not follow ,almost no volume change.
I brought these chart up because I think the Day traders use SSO more than SPY. There seems to be moves made using SSO before SPY, but not all the time. Any comments on how this can be useful for trading?? thanks.
Flip that coin.

Legal note:Don't believe anything I say above. You may lose yourA$$..
My chart has Daily Elders (Close, High, and Low), MA-2, CCI, and ATR for each stock; all color coded.
tdo722

Post by tdo722 »

CognitiveDissonance wrote:
GreedyKojiro wrote:
tdo722 wrote:vix hits a new low on 5min chart but we have yet to hit a new high. i'm going long starting now. :)

I don't know how long your going to hold for, but check the vix on the daily. When it taps the bottom of the Bollinger it tends to spring up.
less than 10 mins. :)
ramram

Post by ramram »

my guess is we are in a wave 4 of minor c -- and have one more wave 5 push up to take us near 1307 SPX. Still not sure if wave 4 is a flat or if it will drop a bit?
MrMiyagi

Post by MrMiyagi »

Me XMan wrote:EURO is toast IMO
If EURO is toast US$ should start up. If that happens, markets should go down.
CognitiveDissonance

Post by CognitiveDissonance »

tdo722 wrote:
CognitiveDissonance wrote:
GreedyKojiro wrote:

less than 10 mins. :)
That's what I figured :P
@cognitivebias1
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

mac769 wrote:
Al_Dente wrote: .....their own victory.
really nice story :)
this is why it pays out to look for contrarian signals and not follow blindly the lemmings into the abyss (which imho is right now happening with the so called "Final Euro solution")
:mrgreen:
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
tdo722

Post by tdo722 »

ramram wrote:my guess is we are in a wave 4 of minor c -- and have one more wave 5 push up to take us near 1307 SPX. Still not sure if wave 4 is a flat or if it will drop a bit?
This wave is as flat as Keira Knightly.
GreedyKojiro

Post by GreedyKojiro »

Me XMan wrote:EURO is toast IMO
mac769 wrote:
gator11 wrote:anyone have any thoughts on the Ted Spread staying elevated during this rally. Typically this should fall during healthy rallies. Correct?
Yes, this is exactly what I am concerned about, the Treasuries seem to look through the "smoke and mirrors" solution of the Eurocrats, so the chart looks accordingly...

and btw, who wants to be long Euro and short USD over the weekend?
I don't do Forex. But I take it as who wants to hold long over the weekend! Yes, I do!
SB73

Post by SB73 »

Recent memory says sell of going into close followed by a nice stick save...I think I have 6 or 7 stick saves at close in a row, but I am too lazy to count.
tdo722

Post by tdo722 »

i barely see the macd and the ema line on my chart. that's how boring today is.
Last edited by tdo722 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noob

Post by noob »

Boring day, Monday will likely be boring as well, window dressing day.
tdo722

Post by tdo722 »

pidge66 wrote:
Cobra wrote:
I agree. This triangle really throws a curve ball at us.
Hi pidge66,

I see u post your portfolio on your web site. Is that real or paper money?