Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

05/05/2012 Weekend Discussion

BullBear52x

Re: 05/05/2012 Weekend Discussion

Post by BullBear52x »

Al_Dente wrote:I’ve been watching this chart for weeks, and post it now just to see if I can irritate BullBear26x :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A few issues with this chart:
1. There is substantial volume support in the yellow zone
2. Anticipating an H&S formation is guessing at best, plus the left shoulder is arguable
3. There is no such formation on $BKX or KBE or KRE, so this helps illustrate the differences between the banking indices and their proxy ETFs
4. It hasn’t broken anything yet
5. The neckline is wanky (red dotted line) and banks will be toast by the time/ IF, IF they reach the neckline to confirm
6. etc :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P97-MqCw ... re=related
The attachment 55weekendxlf.png is no longer available
Here is my opinion on XLF
1. No buy
7.JPG
$BKX even worst, weaker than XLF, Oy
8.JPG
My comments are for entertainment/educational purpose only. NOT a trade advice.
KeiZai

Post by KeiZai »

ClarkW wrote:KeiZai: I've been monitoring the metals and goldminers as well. I follow Bill Cara who's been talking about this downturn being followed by a substantial move up. He thinks it might be another couple weeks. On a weekly chart GDX appears to have formed (and broken the neckline) of a complex head and shoulders. Bulkowski http://thepatternsite.com/chst.html as one of the best patterns (3 out of 21). Measured move brings GDX to around $36 but $BPGDX is pretty low, green vertical lines have been drawn for previous times it reached 10 (close to). Also notice one last line of defense regarding Fibonacci Fan.
Currently long AGQ (started position late Thursday around Bullish Bat Pattern Target) but also long TZA, SMN, SDS
Hi ClarkW, thx for ur chart

Check my LT chart for silver, dont know him but his insight is going right with mine - that is giving me more confidence :geek: ...after the time I think target #2 can be little bit lower (27 in late summer) then will start big bull cycle for metals (I see big up move in conjunction with "solving" debt problems - Hollandes plan to make ECB as lender of last resort and next round of QE3 after correction) I bought physical gold few weeks ago and will buy more in late summer, dont want to have all my capital in fiat money in this money printing era

download/file.php?id=15447&mode=view
My satisfaction always came from beating the market, solving the puzzle. The money was the reward, but it was not the main reason I loved the market (Jess Livermore)
knock

Post by knock »

Al_Dente wrote:Third week updating that long term volatility chart.
Important only because the last confirmed sell signals were July last year, and took SPY from about 134 ish to 105 ish.
But note between Jan and July last year…. all the bouncing zig-zags and mini pullbacks before the deeper correction.

“The pieces, in general, are just tools for me.”
[Magnus Carlsen, Chess Grandmaster, 21 years old, ranked number one in the world today]
55vix.png
Al, sorry for a dumb question: how to read this chart? The charts all look same to me. Do you mean if they tell consistent signals in last July, but inconsistent signals prior to that? Thanks.
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

BANKS
Many small banks bailed out by taxpayers during the financial crisis are not likely to repay the Treasury Department.
“…important to note that TARP … already yielded a significant positive return for taxpayers. All told, we invested $245 billion and have already recovered $264 billion through repayments and other income – representing a $19 billion positive return. Today, however, there are still 343 banks remaining in TARP… Most of them are smaller, community lenders…”
http://www.treasury.gov/connect/blog/Pa ... grams.aspx

Harapa thanks for great McClellan link and your chart (I loved your kool-aid)
Keizai I saw your monster moon last night, and thanks for charts/downloads etc
Baron von BB52z U da man
Knock: give me a minute i'll get back 2 U
All others: great weekend charts and analysis, thanks to everyone, especially Cobra
Here’s one for Cobra: Canadian banks are world’s strongest:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-0 ... banks.html
56weekendbanks.png
cougar

Post by cougar »

Official exit polls in Greece: PASK + New Democracy < 47% of votes . Polarization of votes to the extremes makes practically impossible the creation of a “coalition pro-bailout cabinet“. The only “salvation” = bribing and attracting an extreme party to join the center coalition. This has less than a 30% chance to happen in one week - IMHO… Put your seatbelts on. This is not “fabricated-minor-news CNBC style”…
cougar

Post by cougar »

cougar wrote:Official exit polls in Greece: PASK + New Democracy < 47% of votes . Polarization of votes to the extremes makes practically impossible the creation of a “coalition pro-bailout cabinet“. The only “salvation” = bribing and attracting an extreme party to join the center coalition. This has less than a 30% chance to happen in one week - IMHO… Put your seatbelts on. This is not “fabricated-minor-news CNBC style”…
Latest: As expected, Hollande won, while the extreme-right enters the French Natl. Assembly. Merkel lost control of Schleswig-Holstein…In Greece...already, Samaras offers some "baksheesh", in the best Levantine tradition, to whoever would join him to form a new coalition…Hard to believe that he can pull this one….

All things considered, SPX could drop through support at the present level. Next stop is the 1338 -1341 zone:
Attachments
SPX.GIF
Last edited by cougar on Sun May 06, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BullBear52x

Post by BullBear52x »

cougar wrote:
cougar wrote:Official exit polls in Greece: PASK + New Democracy < 47% of votes . Polarization of votes to the extremes makes practically impossible the creation of a “coalition pro-bailout cabinet“. The only “salvation” = bribing and attracting an extreme party to join the center coalition. This has less than a 30% chance to happen in one week - IMHO… Put your seatbelts on. This is not “fabricated-minor-news CNBC style”…
Latest: As expected, Hollande won, while the extreme-right enters the French Natl. Assembly. Merkel lost control of Schleswig-Holstein…In Greece...already, Samaras offers some "baksheesh", in the best Levantine tradition, to whoever would join him to form a new coalition…Hard to believe that he can pull this one….

All thing considered, SPX could drop through support at the present level. Next stop is the 1338 -1341 zone:
It's dangerous when we, on this board, agreed. well... any thing on Spain none CNBC style. :D
BullBear52x

Post by BullBear52x »

Al_Dente wrote:BANKS
Many small banks bailed out by taxpayers during the financial crisis are not likely to repay the Treasury Department.
“…important to note that TARP … already yielded a significant positive return for taxpayers. All told, we invested $245 billion and have already recovered $264 billion through repayments and other income – representing a $19 billion positive return. Today, however, there are still 343 banks remaining in TARP… Most of them are smaller, community lenders…”
http://www.treasury.gov/connect/blog/Pa ... grams.aspx

Harapa thanks for great McClellan link and your chart (I loved your kool-aid)
Keizai I saw your monster moon last night, and thanks for charts/downloads etc
Baron von BB52z U da man
Knock: give me a minute i'll get back 2 U
All others: great weekend charts and analysis, thanks to everyone, especially Cobra
Here’s one for Cobra: Canadian banks are world’s strongest:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-0 ... banks.html
56weekendbanks.png
Dr. AL, I really like your big picture on things, keep them coming.
BullBear52x

Post by BullBear52x »

Dip buyers, this is not something to risk on when short term STO and $BPSPX all pointing down at the same time.
1.JPG
s.JPG
TVIX no go on over night so...No crash warning here either.have a good one all
2.JPG
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

Thanks Knock: NOT a dumb question.
Volatility is only one measure, and I use INVERTED volatility = twisted upside down (just easier on the eyeballs).
The indices are all in cahoots/confirming, so they look the same, bear.
The vixies usually tell the truth. Last week’s bounce was the AAPL bounce, the giant beat on earnings couldn’t hold; NOT a good sign at all…
but you know all that.
Below is a zoom of just SPX and COMPQ with straight real volatility in red, and my inverted volatility in black.

Seriously, pointing to last year is just for recent historical reference and really means little, just a decent reminder to watch for potential surprise bounces (hypothetical example: May 18-ish, smart money may or may not sell into the Facebook IPO initial public offering; FB may spike crazy or then fail… or ...
IPO may be delayed due to “soft” market… etc).
And if you stretch the charts back many more years, you can see my signal lines are arbitrary and recent …
(low real volatility has been known to persist for many years, but not without corrections).

IMHO: My read on today’s volatility charts is this: BEAR.
My target on $VIX is ~21, piercing the upper bolinger band on the daily.
What remains to be seen is if this is a bouncing Koala or a Grizzly. Prepare for both… anticipate both… IMHO
GL2U knock

BB52x love u, hard to find better charts than yours, but dude, this is all we really need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLvW_P9Kfo
56weekendvix.png
ocassional observer

Post by ocassional observer »

Al_Dente wrote:PAGING OCCASIONAL OBSERVER
You’ve noted in the past on the “percent of stocks above 200ma” that “the 200dma has been an excellent demarcation line between bull and bear moves” (roughly paraphrasing you), and I’ve found your signals timely.
It’s not quite grizzly just yet (?)… not sure exactly what it’s saying here (?)… perhaps more bouncing ahead (?)…
Would appreciate your comments…
The attachment 55occasionalobserver.png is no longer available
my original post was actually refering to the 200 wma which hovers around 60, so that level is a replacement.
i would like first to add a warning which can't be seen in either the weekly or the daily charts:
SPY monthly 6 may 12.jpg
add this to the fact that the russel 2000, transports and mid caps failed to create a new high. so only the big guys (aapl anyone?) are pulling the weight now.
the weekly chart is also close to a short signal but not just yet:
SPY may 6 12.jpg
however, the russel 2000 is much weaker:
Attachments
IWM 6 may 12.jpg
su_root

Post by su_root »

You are right, this is not good. Better also get that helmet on at the same time in case of big rocks starting to fly around.

Post by jefftrader »

Cobra wrote:Institutions are in distribution (courtesy of stocktiming).
Does anyone know how distribution is calculated and/or who stocktiming gets this data from?
I take it, that this is more than the money flow technical indicator.
cougar

Post by cougar »

su_root wrote:
You are right, this is not good. Better also get that helmet on at the same time in case of big rocks starting to fly around.
Very interesting…from “Athens News”: “With half of votes counted, aggregate of support for parties that are unlikely/certain not to enter parliament is 18%“. This is HUGE and potentially a game changer! I keep watching!
cougar

Post by cougar »

cougar wrote:
su_root wrote:
Very interesting…from “Athens News”: “With half of votes counted, aggregate of support for parties that are unlikely/certain not to enter parliament is 18%“. This is HUGE and potentially a game changer! I keep watching!
More precisely: Percentage aggregate vote for parties not making 3 percent #parliamentary treshold stands at 18.31 percent.
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

jefftrader wrote:
Cobra wrote:Institutions are in distribution (courtesy of stocktiming).
Does anyone know how distribution is calculated and/or who stocktiming gets this data from?
I take it, that this is more than the money flow technical indicator.
Welcome aboard!

I don't know how stocktiming gets the institutional accumulation distribution, but it seems that it has on predictive power, only reflects the current status.

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
cougar

Post by cougar »

PALL (metal of the future) usually moves ahead of GLD: started an uptrend, but => technical drop:
Attachments
PALL.GIF
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

cougar wrote:
cougar wrote:
su_root wrote:
More precisely: Percentage aggregate vote for parties not making 3 percent #parliamentary treshold stands at 18.31 percent.
Thanks. Keep us informed. I think this is the major reason why we had the pullbacks those days, because there're chances that Greece will break the promise.

Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

ES Open.
Attachments
ES.jpg

KeiZai

Post by KeiZai »

Interesting open, tomorrow will be fun
Attachments
7.5sp.png
My satisfaction always came from beating the market, solving the puzzle. The money was the reward, but it was not the main reason I loved the market (Jess Livermore)