Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

10/17/2012 Live Update

KeiZai

Re: 10/17/2012 Live Update

Post by KeiZai »

I have a odd feeling they will ramp it in after hour, usually they do it when I close longs...kind of hello I am double top short me and then BAM
My satisfaction always came from beating the market, solving the puzzle. The money was the reward, but it was not the main reason I loved the market (Jess Livermore)
agunther

Post by agunther »

L_T wrote:
That's what they make straddle and strangle positions for. :twisted: 8-) :twisted:
There is no free lunch. I ran several backtests in thinkorswim selling or buying straddles before earnings. Volatility dies off right after announcement, and sometimes the unerlying moves, sometimes doesn't. Hard to get right consistently, long or short the straddle.
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

well, guess that's it for today, not a perfect close but bulls will live. thank you guys, I'll see you tomorrow. please before the close, take a little time to vote for me, thanks. http://stockcharts.com/public/1684859/tenpp
Attachments
1.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
L_T

Post by L_T »

agunther wrote:
L_T wrote:
That's what they make straddle and strangle positions for. :twisted: 8-) :twisted:
There is no free lunch. I ran several backtests in thinkorswim selling or buying straddles before earnings. Volatility dies off right after announcement, and sometimes the unerlying moves, sometimes doesn't. Hard to get right consistently, long or short the straddle.
Heh yes caveat emptor as they say. IV is very important to consider and it can be sucked right out after earnings. Some people say a better strategy is to buy the straddle/strangle a week or two out and as IV increases as earnings approaches sell them both simply netting yourself the increased IV. Never tried it but it makes sense.
Petsamo

Post by Petsamo »

Unless earnings negatively influence after-hours trading, we should gap up tomorrow
Twitter @jackwag0n
MrMiyagi

Post by MrMiyagi »

1050.png
TraderGirl

Post by TraderGirl »

shite chart from Schwab...Goog announced twice this year on a lower high...if that is the case they can gap this thing down...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 1.02.42 PM.png
agunther

Post by agunther »

L_T wrote:
agunther wrote:
L_T wrote:
Heh yes caveat emptor as they say. IV is very important to consider and it can be sucked right out after earnings. Some people say a better strategy is to buy the straddle/strangle a week or two out and as IV increases as earnings approaches sell them both simply netting yourself the increased IV. Never tried it but it makes sense.
Probably. I could run another backtest, but these things are very time consuming, esp. if you want them to be statistically meaningful. I had only done a backtest for weeklies on aapl and goog, but decided to abandon the earnings straddle idea after I did.
Me XMan

Post by Me XMan »

That would be good to see.
TraderGirl wrote:shite chart from Schwab...Goog announced twice this year on a lower high...if that is the case they can gap this thing down...
agunther

Post by agunther »

Petsamo wrote:Unless earnings negatively influence after-hours trading, we should gap up tomorrow
How so?
Me XMan

Re:

Post by Me XMan »

Mr. Chop fork it up my friend.
MrMiyagi wrote:Image
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

TraderGirl wrote:shite chart from Schwab...Goog announced twice this year on a lower high...if that is the case they can gap this thing down...
dude where u get that shite chart on schw platform
is it from "Edge" or what????
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
Al_Dente

Re:

Post by Al_Dente »

MrMiyagi wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
u funny today, as per usual :mrgreen:
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
KeiZai

Post by KeiZai »

Euro ending diagonal with quite big div in every time frames, should be done in Asia session, gap down in US ?
Edia.png
My satisfaction always came from beating the market, solving the puzzle. The money was the reward, but it was not the main reason I loved the market (Jess Livermore)
rpccharts

Post by rpccharts »

EURUSD 1.35 here we come for the election - pimping everything with it.

daytradingES

Post by daytradingES »

KeiZai wrote:I have a odd feeling they will ramp it in after hour, usually they do it when I close longs...kind of hello I am double top short me and then BAM
thanks for the post Keizai :D

I feel that the perfect double top in today's RTH is potentially of importance.
The "thieves" have endless tricks. Sometimes they create a double top to encourage bears to take a position and enter stops above the double top and sometimes to worry the bulls "wow nice 2 day rally but I better take some profits"

A. So sometimes they run them in o/n
B. Sometimes they leave it there start with a fall the next day, loading on more shorts, baby shorts and once their confidence is place ramp it up ~ 8:45am CT.
C. and other times (knowing we know B) they leave it alone and plunge it down leaving baby bears to chase them - then hurky -jerky and throw them off.

along the lines of "i know that you know that I know...." ;)

The games are endless and they play us - the retail like a violin.

My guess it that there are few who will reverse and go short after just a scary rebound.
(Well except our friend me Xman who I think reversed?)

(Long post but I'm trying to take my mind off my worries about my brother with mindless driveling post on trading.)

In passing has anyone read a good book on Divine Healing -as in you pray and your are healed. I'm searching for true stories of miraculous healings. Many thanks in advance!!!!!!!! :D
Educational only and not trading advice (EO&NTA) :)
Good trading to all