Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

03/20/2013 Live Update

Cobra
Site Admin

Re: 03/20/2013 Live Update

Post by Cobra »

jarbo456 wrote:
I know you pick the narrow range breakout setups. I thank you for that. I do a more general filter, but your breakouts obviously have a nicer range than the automated filter results. :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Please keep them free, and I hope some people use them - enough to keep you doing it, but not enough for you to make it a paid service. :D
I think you're already paid member, aren't you? so even it's not free eventually due to too many attentions, you're not affected anyway. Only better, because if it become for members only, you better I'll add more trading details...

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
jarbo456

Post by jarbo456 »

stlwater wrote:
jarbo456 wrote:
Cobra wrote:
jarbo456 wrote:
totally agree. but i'd rather use an ATR based stop which makes the stop tighter than most of those ranges. also, if you trade the range breakout then you are really going for something like a 1:2 or 1:3 risk reward ratio. if you trade with a breakdown of the low of the range, that ratio drops drastically. i'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that i'd rather get into a stock twice (maybe three times), then use the larger breakdown of the range stop price.
Trade breakdown? Breakdown would be stop loss, not a reverse trade. Do you mean if I set stop loss at base low, it'd reduce the profit?
If you put stop loss just below the base of the range it reduces the risk reward ratio of the setup.

It's the same stop loss problem we have with any trade - do we keep it wide and so we don't get shaken out as much, or do we keep it tight and avoid losing as much.

I can give you some real time feedback on this.. I was triggered into FSL... Needless to say it came within pennies of a theoretical stop loss. I'm well trapped by this little bastadge. In hindsight, I think there probably is a better stop loss placement. A genuine break-out shouldn't come back to retest the break-out area (except in those volatile stocks that love to shake traders out)... in which case maybe you filter out the more volatile symbols (I know you look for solid trending stocks).
I'm not sure you can use FSL as an example. According to my spreadsheet, I wasn't ever triggered into a position.

FSL was recommended on 3/10...and hit near the range high on 3/11 @ 16.14 (range high was 16.15). My trigger price for FSL was 16.17. Never hit, and was never a position, and according to what I was looking at, should never have been a position.
MrMiyagi

Post by MrMiyagi »

Pretty quiet on the pBar front, usually there's some chatter before FOMC blather.
Out of Bounds

Post by Out of Bounds »

Cypriots are now just pawns in a war between Germany and Russia. Geez, banks now closed until Tuesday? brutal.
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

jarbo456 wrote:
stlwater wrote:
jarbo456 wrote:
If you put stop loss just below the base of the range it reduces the risk reward ratio of the setup.

It's the same stop loss problem we have with any trade - do we keep it wide and so we don't get shaken out as much, or do we keep it tight and avoid losing as much.

I can give you some real time feedback on this.. I was triggered into FSL... Needless to say it came within pennies of a theoretical stop loss. I'm well trapped by this little bastadge. In hindsight, I think there probably is a better stop loss placement. A genuine break-out shouldn't come back to retest the break-out area (except in those volatile stocks that love to shake traders out)... in which case maybe you filter out the more volatile symbols (I know you look for solid trending stocks).
I'm not sure you can use FSL as an example. According to my spreadsheet, I wasn't ever triggered into a position.

FSL was recommended on 3/10...and hit near the range high on 3/11 @ 16.14 (range high was 16.15). My trigger price for FSL was 16.17. Never hit, and was never a position, and according to what I was looking at, should never have been a position.
Right, FSL shouldn't be triggered at all. Wrong Buy Stop I think. Be sure to put your buy stop above the range, you cannot set it within the range, that's not trading breakout, that'd be betting your luck on breakout.
Attachments
1.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
Out of Bounds

Post by Out of Bounds »

Shockingly, i have discovered that people lie about their data on stocktwits. That place is useless.
Unique

Post by Unique »

Cobra wrote: Be sure to put your buy stop above the range, you cannot set it within the range, that's not trading breakout, that'd be betting your luck on breakout.
Golden words, never front run with low probabilities
Restarted the AAPL blog into E-mini S&P 500 Trading Blog , see here: http://aapltechnicals.blogspot.ca/
Unique

Post by Unique »

Out of Bounds wrote:Shockingly, i have discovered that people lie about their data on stocktwits. That place is useless.
Hope, you're not following that bimbo traderflorida :lol:
Restarted the AAPL blog into E-mini S&P 500 Trading Blog , see here: http://aapltechnicals.blogspot.ca/
jademann

Re:

Post by jademann »

MrMiyagi wrote:Pretty quiet on the pBar front, usually there's some chatter before FOMC blather.
MrM, where would we see the pbars? Is it on broker quote?
My comments were dictated to me by homie the clown
stlwater

Post by stlwater »

jarbo456 wrote:FSL was recommended on 3/10...and hit near the range high on 3/11 @ 16.14 (range high was 16.15). My trigger price for FSL was 16.17. Never hit, and was never a position, and according to what I was looking at, should never have been a position.
That's true, but I was triggered in on March 7th. This was one of my scans before it appeared on Cobra, HAS is another I am looking at currently. I agree, based on Cobra's listing of this stock there would have been no trigger from that day forward.. Not sure what his criteria is for a base.. Could be that he requires more days in range than my scan?
Claudio.dicorato

Post by Claudio.dicorato »

Hi cobra you Think we could go to 1565 with FeD announcment ? But after all we could go to New short term pullback?
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

srsly this stuff gets my vote: https://stockcharts.com/public/1684859
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
Unique

Post by Unique »

BullBear52x wrote:
Unique wrote:SPY dream for bulls?
it will be hard to imagine while all TSI were under 0 line now on all futures index. until then I will suspect that there will be a will.
Come on Fed, show me the money!!!!
Attachments
spy_march_20_5_2.PNG
uempel

Post by uempel »

Claudio.dicorato wrote:Hi cobra you Think we could go to 1565 with FeD announcment ? But after all we could go to New short term pullback?
Claudio, now why should Cobra know? In such a situation anything can happen, anything. Not even God knows :mrgreen:
nightlyhawk

Post by nightlyhawk »

uempel wrote:
Claudio.dicorato wrote:Hi cobra you Think we could go to 1565 with FeD announcment ? But after all we could go to New short term pullback?
Claudio, now why should Cobra know? In such a situation anything can happen, anything. Not even God knows :mrgreen:
One of my ST indicators show a big drop in any minute. Anyone dares to short? Not me as I don't take risky trades. :D
MrMiyagi

Post by MrMiyagi »

jademann wrote:MrM, where would we see the pbars? Is it on broker quote?
TD Waterhouse platform
TraderGirl

Post by TraderGirl »

Check out how SPY has been bouncing off these channel lines..sitting right above the top channel...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-03-20 at 10.35.18 AM.png
TraderGirl

Post by TraderGirl »

uempel wrote:
:D :D :D
Unique

Post by Unique »

uempel wrote:
Obviously, because there's no such thing as God :lol:
Claudio.dicorato

Post by Claudio.dicorato »

Cobra is a god!! :-)