Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

05/23/2020 Weekend Update

Cobra
Site Admin

05/23/2020 Weekend Update

Post by Cobra »

Up 1 week, 77% chances higher high ahead the next week so maybe still some up rooms.
2.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
Al_Dente

Re: 05/23/2020 Weekend Update

Post by Al_Dente »

SentimenTrader:
Since 1928, there have been 29 streaks that have stretched to at least 20 days — and 21 of them ended with the S&P 500 falling below the 50-day average, while only eight ended with a push above the 200-day, making for a roughly 72% probability the index will break down.

But even if the index were to defy the odds and break to the upside, it might not offer investors much comfort. When that’s happened in the past, the median return a year later was minus 9.2%, with equities producing a positive return just 38% of the time, he found.
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

Relative Strength ON THE WEEK
523RELSTR.PNG
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

WEEK AT A GLANCE
523week2.png
JFR

Post by JFR »

Charts posted are not recommendations. They are just a sharing of information.
JFR

Post by JFR »

MarketWatch references SentimentTrader, as did Pasta Boss above ...
‘Trapped between time frames’
At the same time, it’s held above its 50-day moving average, a metric used by traders to gauge an asset’s short-term trend. In other words, stocks are “trapped between time frames” wrote Jason Goepfert, head of SentimenTrader and founder of independent investment research firm Sundial Capital Research, in a Friday note (see chart below). Through Friday’s close, the index had remained between the 50- and 200-day averages for 21 straight sessions.
MW-IH073_unname_20200522132101_NS.png
Charts posted are not recommendations. They are just a sharing of information.
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

We all know that Health and Tech have been leading since the 2/19 low.
Note that Health flashed a prescient signal back in late January/early February … and now a TRIPLE-TOP pattern, which tends to favor the breakout that Health desperately needs. That negative divergence needs to be cured PRONTO …

The real question is: how long can 5 stocks (Tech) continue to hold up the entire market?
[FYI: FB and AMZN and NFLX made all-time-highs this week. So did FDN, but the $NYFANG Index did not.]

Consensus target for the bulls appears to be ~3000 (the SPX 200dma) but it could go as high as 3137 (the 3 March high, where it could double-top) before a sizeable pullback. The first bear target is a test of ~2700.
523neg diverg.png
jademann

Post by jademann »

Every weekend I try to predict VIX for the next few days:
https://sites.google.com/site/stoplosst ... al-candles

Based on this, although there are some tiny gains, there is not enough reward for me to justify participating on the long side.

If the VIX follows the VIX spike of January 2019, then it will be Aug 1st before the next major VIX spike, rising from a VIX low of ~15.
Of course this is going to be as accurate as a long term weather forecast!
Last edited by jademann on Sun May 24, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My comments were dictated to me by homie the clown
QED

Post by QED »

If anyone wants Lance Roberts' (RealInvestmentAdvice.com) chart ...

http://schrts.co/hYGCMigK

Bear Market? Or Just A Big Correction?
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/bear- ... correction

tsf

Post by tsf »

jademann wrote:Every weekend I try to predict VIX for the next few days:
https://sites.google.com/site/stoplosst ... al-candles

Based on this, although there are some tiny gains, there is not enough reward for me to justify participating on the long side.

If the VIX follows the VIX spike of January 2019, then it will be Aug 1st before the next major VIX spike, rising from a VIX low of ~15.
Of course this is going to be as accurate as a long term weather forecast!

jademann,
How do you get Yahoo! chart to fill the area between EMA(4) and EMA(8), and make price invisible?
Thanks.
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

Thanks for that boss :D

ELSEWHERE
Jay Leno drives Elon Musk around in the 2021 Tesla Cybertruck
The first 2:27 minutes of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3BH8edQVZ4

also:
https://stockcharts.com/public/1684859
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

Divergence in the DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE isn’t new
In the old days (last year) the dictum was “The Dow Leads”
Now it’s only 5 stocks that lead, and you know who you are.
They represent the highest concentration on record... [according to GS, this week]
524dow div.png
QED

Post by QED »

Al_Dente wrote:
Thanks for that boss :D
:D
jademann

Post by jademann »

TSF, I generate the Yahoo chart from the links below the chart.
I make the chart a line chart, then I left click on "SPY" and change the line color to white.
Then I use windows snip to copy into paste into paint shop pro.
Then I use the fill command to generate the red and green long short rules :)

I only did to illustrate the rules. you don't need to do it every time.
1der

Post by 1der »

My take is we will be up trending until November election with a few well placed scary drops thrown in when needed.

Underlying: The Win-Win - the group in charge right now has shown they will manipulate whatever they can to stay in charge. Their four year run is up for decision in November.

Scenario 1 - run the market up and up to help their chances to make the narrative look good to give them the best chance at another four years. The leverage has all been changed with a $5T++ war chest and an outright statement of the Fed and Treasury to support prices. All the major players are on board and are on the same team. No one is breaking ranks. Both sides are now aligned with the $5T in funds. Crumbs for the masses (loaves of bread being tossed to placate) while the majority of the $5T is routed from the taxpayer’s future into the hands of the controllers. Keep the facade up for the next six months and the next four years are nearly assured.

Scenario 2 - IF there is any concern about the election not going to the current group, then this will necessitate a grab as much as we can while we can. The $5T is up for grabs and directing to themselves. No oversight, inside information, knowledge of timing of statements/policy changes, etc. Prepositioning to reap the rewards. If the masses get restless, if the opponents look to be getting an edge, then time for a little scary reminder to the masses not to rock the boat. A bark here and there to turn the herd back towards the current group. The grab all they can will necessitate increasing the prices, so up we go until Election Day.

What player is out there to challenge this?? China?? They have been relegated to a small bit player w the $5T. The US basically inflated the deficit 25% over a weekend with the message to China to go ahead and dump your $1T+ in Treasury holdings on the market, we will absorb all you want to sell without a blip. Russia?? There is no large enough player to counter this and even those players would be onboard with getting what they can to not fall further behind. Greed/FOMO is in play. It’s all aligned.

As I am writing this next paragraph I am at a loss for any word other than “ethically” - ethically we should be in an economic crash headed for a depression. Massive unemployment, mortgage defaults, bankruptcies, massive hits to productivity, etc., at least that is what my Econ Degree points to.

I was going to use the words theoretically, fundamentally, logically, rationally, etc. to say we should be in a crash. But all those words have to be used in the shadow of $5T of influence on decision making, $5T with a stated purpose of supporting the market applied to any of those words says up and overrides nearly all the other factors normally considered.

Now, the question for ME is can I put MY ethics, MY logic aside to ride this for profit? Swim with the sharks?? Have to become a shark? Sheesh, time for coffee - rant/musings off.

Have a great holiday and huge THANK YOU to Cobra and all who are on this board sharing/contributing. Man, it has been lots of years!

Be safe and aware/considerate of others. Peace.
Heck

Post by Heck »

SP.1 Jun Fut SELLING < 2,986.25

Memorial Day Market Holiday
Heck

Post by Heck »

[quote="1der"]My take...

Thoughtful comments

Meantime
Donald Trump claimed he could "stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody" and not "lose any voters."
jademann

Post by jademann »

1der, trying to analyze made me poor for a decade. The only thing that works for me are charts and ignoring when things are absurd.
QED

Post by QED »

What is it Robintrack?
Robintrack keeps track of how many Robinhood users hold a particular stock over time. It generates charts showing the relationship between price and popularity, and compiles some lists using the data.

What can it do?
One of the most useful things that you can do with the data that this site provides is to figure out how people are reacting to moves in the market. Depending on if people are buying the dip, getting onboard during a pump because they think it's going to go higher, or taking profits, this data lets you observe each of those different situations and plan your own trading accordingly.

How it works
Every hour, the price and popularity for every stock on Robinhood is downloaded from the Robinhood API and stored. By combining all of these data points together, it's possible to view trends and analyze the ways in which they both change with respect to each other and over time.

Robintrack
https://robintrack.net/