Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

Is the Aug 9 low the low for the next couple of months?

Is Aug 9 low the low for the next couple of months?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:02 am

Yes, the low was in!
13%
No way!
63%
How the hell do I know!
23%

Total votes: 150

Cobra
Site Admin

Is the Aug 9 low the low for the next couple of months?

Post by Cobra »

Ladies and guys, here's our very first sentiment poll. I hope we could have such kind of poll on regular basis.
2.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
BullBear52x

Re: Was Aug 9 lows the low for the next couple of months?

Post by BullBear52x »

Cobra wrote:Ladies and guys, here's our very first sentiment poll. I hope we could have such kind of poll on regular basis.
I voted hell NO!
My comments are for entertainment/educational purpose only. NOT a trade advice.
billow

Post by billow »

From weekly/monthly chart, we should have a big down ahead.
For middleterm, hard to say, yesterday's low was a win for bear.
wayne0708

Post by wayne0708 »

Wow... am i alone here that "i dont know"?
gabor

Re: Was the Aug 9 low the low for the next couple of months?

Post by gabor »

Do you think this matters? Most voters here are half professionals. I do not really think it represents the market sentiment.
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

gabor wrote:Do you think this matters? Most voters here are half professionals. I do not really think it represents the market sentiment.
if it turns out that always majority wins, then perfect, we have a very good indicator! :lol:

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
waverider

Post by waverider »

But sentiment should be contrarian, majority tends to lose.
"The only way to get a real education in the market is to invest cash, track your trade, and study your mistakes"

-Jesse Livermore
oldpigwang

Re: Is the Aug 9 low the low for the next couple of months?

Post by oldpigwang »

Majority usually wrong.
gabor

Post by gabor »

Cobra wrote:
gabor wrote:Do you think this matters? Most voters here are half professionals. I do not really think it represents the market sentiment.
if it turns out that always majority wins, then perfect, we have a very good indicator! :lol:
I am also not sure that everybody is betting on the market direction with money, although may have an opinion. I would phrase the question in a different way. In what degree or how much I am in short or long position.

1. I am in full long
2. I am in half long
3. I am in neutral position
4. I am in half short
5. I am in full short

This would force the voter to tell the truth about the real position.
silicon_beaver

Post by silicon_beaver »

gabor wrote:
Cobra wrote:
I am also not sure that everybody is betting on the market direction with money, although may have an opinion. I would phrase the question in a different way. In what degree or how much I am in short or long position.

1. I am in full long
2. I am in half long
4. I am in half short
5. I am in full short

:D :D :D
Selleverythingnow

Post by Selleverythingnow »

No! But it'll be a short and sweet intraday break below 1100... You should also ask whether we'll get back to the July highs this year. I'd give that a no as well.
Dow Trader

Post by Dow Trader »

This why ES 1148 is a key today
Attachments
ES 18.JPG
grachu

Post by grachu »

:roll: yea We are going to revisit august low after some ref lief rally it mid october.. :D :D hey cobra is this how you vote ? or I have to go somewhere else?
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

The SPY chart since early August to date looks to me like a rising bearish wedge or a bearish rectangle. See Murphy, Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets, p. 147-49. My guess is over the next month we suddenly go down 100-150 points in the SPX over a few days before we hit bottom.

I am new to this blog and am learning the TA concepts. I don't consider myself qualified to give an opinion to such knowledgeable experts. Thank you for allowing me to participate.
uempel

Post by uempel »

This scenario makes sense to me: a new low very shortly, presumably at 1100 or 1075, afterwards a renewed attempt to bust DMA 377 up at 1200 (November/December) after that further weakness as company profits deteriorate and debt woes reemerge...
Turquoise.png
Last edited by uempel on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
uempel

Post by uempel »

gabor wrote:
Cobra wrote:

1. I am in full long
2. I am in half long
4. I am in half short
5. I am in full short

Gabor, your comment makes sense, but note that in these kinds of markets tactics/positions change very quickly. Not only small guys, big HFs/IBs are daytrading too. At important resistance/support levels the positioning changes. Friday's break of 1150/45 support must have induced many to hedge longs/open shorts. And if 1100 (?) holds on Monday/Tuesday many traders might cover...
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Thanks for putting together the poll -- I think it will be very interesting.

I agree with the comments from gabor and uempel. Perhaps a balanced approach to the poll.

Every week I study the COT report which provides some indication as to what the "professional" traders are doing, and thereby sentiment. With all their resources at their disposal, however, I do think its interesting to observe they dont seem to have any more of an edge than the collective wisdom available here - a free website and a group of "non-professionals" some of whom are still going to college.

Over the past few weeks the large institutional traders have been increasing, or maintaing a largely "long" bias. Meanwhile the hedge money has been taking on more "short" positions, which I believe in part explains the W the markets have been expressing over the past weeks. I think its the market realigning itself against the delusion that stocks are cheap relative to historical earnings, whipsawed against the reality of global macroeconomic risks. The W for the hedge money is Win who are short. For the institutional money the W is going to be for Wasted, and soon their W is going to turn into a Y, when they start asking themselves "Why did we ever go long?"
I find it interesting, but not surprising, the institutional money is in as much denial to the European Crisis as the European financial ministers.
Clearly, insightful and accurate technical analysis provides an edge -- thanks once again to Cobra and many of the contributors.

When finally the institutional money starts to sell is when the market will build rising risk and eventually capitulate making stocks incredibly cheap. In the next couple of weeks with the market looking for visibility from companies as they announce earnings is when things will really get interesting. I will be particularly looking forward to Alcoa´s announcement, a stock that is only $5 away from its low in March 2009.

So, back to the poll -- thanks for putting it together. Perhaps a balanced approach might be considered.

BTW -- for all the latest info on the Euro check out this website. You wont want to miss it!
http://www.eurocrash.info/page000.aspx
Petsamo

Post by Petsamo »

For the next couple of months, I believe the low was in based on surprise gap ups, and this chart:

It compares EWG (Germany) to EWZ (Brazil).
The formula is EWZ price * 32 / EWG price. The time is 3/4/10 to present.
High numbers represent Germany being weak compared to Brazil.
The downleg on the far right means money has been flowing more into Germany than Brazil.

Earnings is around the corner. That should help determine whether we go lower or not.
I have exposure in XME & FCX which are very beat up. HAO (China small cap) & KOL (coal ETF) are very beat up also. I successfully played HAO but exited Thursday before China sold off. I'll look to get back in Monday.
CLF & X are very beat up also. Good luck guys! Image
Twitter @jackwag0n
seekingknowledge

Post by seekingknowledge »

I voted "No Way". The WEEKLY and MONTHLY charts for all the major indexes are in sell mode: all moving averages in bearish alignment, MACD below 0, Stochastics rolling over, ROC negative, RSI less than 50, trendlines pointing down . Will likely see a "short-term rally", since DAILY oscillators are hitting oversold terrirtory. On top of TA analysis, there remains huge uncertainty in world markets and if there is one thing the market hates, it is uncertainty. We are also going into October, one of the most bearish months of the year. Lastly, guru Cobra has given additional great evidence that a bottom isn't in. Outstanding site, Cobra!
lewald

Post by lewald »

no way