Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

What is Open Range (OR)?

Cobra
Site Admin

What is Open Range (OR)?

Post by Cobra »

The Opening Range (OR) is defined in terms of time and price.

The time element is simply the first X number of minutes in the trading day. The number of minutes used to define the Opening Range is your decision as a trader. The most commonly used OR is 5 min and 30 min OR.

The price component of the OR is the day’s trading range at the end of the OR time period. This means that the 30-minute OR is defined as the stock’s high and low for the day at 10:00 AM. The OR is not the opening price. In fact, the opening price is not a factor in calculating the OR. For example, if Amazon, Inc were to open at $46.49 and then sell off to $46.06 at 9:45 AM and then reverse and rally to $46.66 at 9:55 AM and then proceed to sell off into the middle of the day’s range until sometime after 10:00 AM, its 30-minute OR would be the day’s range at 10:00 AM or $46.06 – $46.66. This is because during the 30-minute OR period $46.06 and $46.66 were Amazon’s low and high, respectively.

A typical OR trading is to place a buy stop above a wide open range bar or a sell stop below a wide open range bar, better there're some small consolidation bars after the wide range bar so that you can have a low risk entry (as you can set a very tight stop loss). The following 2 sample images are from http://traderjamie.blogspot.com.
1.png
2.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
Cobra
Site Admin

Re: What is Open Range (OR)?

Post by Cobra »

Here's a book about trading OR.
Trading The 10 Oclock Bulls.pdf
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 1877 times

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.