Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

01/24/2012 Intraday Watering

proteus46

Re: 01/24/2012 Intraday Watering

Post by proteus46 »

tdo722 wrote:
EFA wrote:
tdo722 wrote:
BullTart wrote:All aboard the TVIX train! Ding ding ding! Last call!

8-)
:)

I missed the chance to buy at $19.20. I think I'm gonna sit out.
I hope I'll get an answer this time...How about VIX June 20 calls? How is it different better/worse than buying shares of TVIX? :lol:

I asked earlier but did not get an answer :(
I'm sorry but I don't have the answer for you. I don't think others do. Otherwise they would have responded to you. best wishes!
They both have disadvantages, you can see by the chart, TVIX price does not exactly correlate with the VIX.
You can always hedge TVIX (2x) with XIV (1x) or hedge your calls with puts.

The trouble with calls, they expire. The chart shows the trouble with TVIX. You can hold TVIX for several months and at some point the VIX will spike, however,
the chart may convince you that you may not get back to break even.

Good luck.
Attachments
TVIX Daily Chart
TVIX Daily Chart
SWalsh

Post by SWalsh »

tdo722 wrote:Granville looks like that preacher that called for dooms day May 2011 for the rapture. But if he said he meant for the stock market, he would have a legion of followers by now instead of will be dying in a retirement home soon. :)
(Dangerfield voice)

"Oh I tell ya...tough crowd....tough crowd"... :?
"I told you...................bring me everyone"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTsuvykUZk
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

waverider wrote:Nobody knows.
...Exactly, they want eyeballs, bloomberg doesn't care whether these guys are right or not. I just think it's entertaining to listen to them, Granville sounded quite sure of himself haha.[/quote]
Wavy
Granville used to show up at industry conventions (the connection point back in the day) wearing shirt jacket tie boxer shorts and socks…the boxers were souvenier shorts imprinted with ticker tape symbols all over them….Hughes Tool was publicly traded at the time, and the ticker HT just happened to print down there at the seam….Granville wandered around pointing to HT and shouting “SEE MY TOOL....”
oy

L_T and climbera5 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
L_T

Post by L_T »

Al_Dente wrote:
waverider wrote:Nobody knows.
...Exactly, they want eyeballs, bloomberg doesn't care whether these guys are right or not. I just think it's entertaining to listen to them, Granville sounded quite sure of himself haha.
Wavy
Granville used to show up at industry conventions (the connection point back in the day) wearing shirt jacket tie boxer shorts and socks…the boxers were souvenier shorts imprinted with ticker tape symbols all over them….Hughes Tool was publicly traded at the time, and the ticker HT just happened to print down there at the seam….Granville wandered around pointing to HT and shouting “SEE MY TOOL....”
oy

L_T and climbera5 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Was it really an earthquake?
waverider

Post by waverider »

TVIX bot. Al, that is hilarious! I have a feeling you joking? lol...
"The only way to get a real education in the market is to invest cash, track your trade, and study your mistakes"

-Jesse Livermore
soku

Post by soku »

tdo722 wrote:Granville looks like that preacher that called for dooms day May 2011 for the rapture. But if he said he meant for the stock market, he would have a legion of followers by now instead of will be dying in a retirement home soon. :)
you need to be fair.
is there anybody following granville? according to shiller, the biggest one day rally in 1980 was purely due to the entire market was following granville's call. if i remember correctly, he called for 2 years of bull market in late 2009. and according to that bloomberg video above, he is rewarded market timer of the year 2011. i believe it is not his first time.
The goal is not uniformity. It is understanding and idea exchange.
uempel

Post by uempel »

Don't want to be smart-alecky, but those guys who had sell signals when SPX climbed back from 1310 and rose above 1312 should check the indicators they are using.
vv.png
BullTart

Post by BullTart »

1. Joe Granville says stock market will go up for next 2 years, CNBC Street Signs, Aug 31, 2009 (even more bullish that Carter Worth who thought market would be directionless)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlgeIGTMjNg

2. Same guy now calling for DOW 8,000 (4,000 point drop!).. with an interview yesterday. Matches his 2009 call that the market will go up for the next 2 years.... here we are in the Jan 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehWrbBiPxOk

Just sayin'
uempel

Post by uempel »

uempel wrote:Don't want to be smart-alecky, but those guys who had sell signals when SPX climbed back from 1310 and rose above 1312 should check the indicators they use.
vv.png
TraderGirl

Post by TraderGirl »

soku wrote:
you need to be fair.
is there anybody following granville? according to shiller, the biggest one day rally in 1980 was purely due to the entire market was following granville's call. if i remember correctly, he called for 2 years of bull market in late 2009. and according to that bloomberg video above, he is rewarded market timer of the year 2011. i believe it is not his first time.
Well according to cycle data, the market could lose up to 50% of it's value after March of 2012, most likely we could see a substantial correction around June 25-26...Don't know if it will happen, but I will definitely take it into account....
jarbo456

Post by jarbo456 »

i don't know what happened...but as soon as i wrote how my KOG puts weren't gaining any value...KOG dropped out another 2% and they are now up 1k. :D
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

waverider wrote:TVIX bot. Al, that is hilarious! I have a feeling you joking? lol...
60 min
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SPY&p= ... =252412304

Wavy NOT JOKING joe was quite a character in his prime
That was a true story.
THIS is LEGEND: word was that on certain strategic days an NYSE Floor Governor would call him and BEG him not to go on TV with any of his calls (his calls would move mkts back then….also some LOUSY bad calls that went awry)

Santana, live, 1971 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3XSXvas ... creen&NR=1
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

Watch the VIX bolingers 5min expand???
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

still no breakout, very slow market. Odds are higher the breakout would be on the upside, but still it's possible on the downside, so let's wait.
Attachments
1.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
knock

Post by knock »

Al_Dente wrote:Watch the VIX bolingers 5min expand???
implication?
99er

Post by 99er »

So who likes fast cars and fast women?

Kim Dotcom, that's who.

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom's online profile was larger-than-life, with fast women, faster cars and chartered planes, yet he lived like a virtual recluse in a sprawling, manicured estate on the outskirts of New Zealand's biggest city, Auckland.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... 7Q20120124
SB73

Post by SB73 »

Cobra wrote:still no breakout, very slow market. Odds are higher the breakout would be on the upside, but still it's possible on the downside, so let's wait.
just have to wait for the 3:00 to 4:00 show...During QE these almost always closed green.
tapesense

Post by tapesense »

Lol granville, big boned wives and dirty comments. Peter Brandt has a nice writeup on classical chart setups of 2011. http://peterlbrandt.com/

My last downside trade was a fail, to complete the whipsaw :lol: am long SPY with 1/13 low as bias pivot. Today's big upside 4 hour bar on ES also likely good for a measure up, or down if low is broken
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

that's not a valid breakout but no harm to know the target on each direction.
Attachments
1.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
cougar

Post by cougar »

soku wrote:
you need to be fair.
“tdo” doesn’t need to be fair. He is a bully!
I promised to "99er" that I will reply adequately to some people who are unduly aggressive. Here is a sample:

“tdo722” wrote on Dec 28, at 1:32 pm EST:
“You wouldn't believe the amount of crap zerohedge puts out and the amount of morons that follows. Many of them are on this very board.”

Well, I think that people are free to read whatever they want, and they do not need permission from “tdo”.
Censoring their readings, trying to intimidate them and calling them “morons” for reading something that “tdo” does not like is not only despicable - it is a mistake…because that prompted me, and probably other people, to look at the posted “profile” of this “tdo” character - a self-proclaimed censor of our readings.
I was surprised that he did not give more information obaout his personality and achievements. People of this caliber usually do…However, he filled the brief questionnaire that Cobra posted for recent registrants, to simply confirm that they are human and not spam emitting bots. And…here are the last 2 questions and tdo’s answers:

“What is the ticker symbol for Nasdaq 100 ETF?:
NDX
What is the ticker symbol for Russell 2000 ETF?:
RUT”

No more commentaries on the credentials of our “censor”…

I must clearly state that I support the inalienable right of everyone on this planet to read whatever he or she wants. Defining somebody’s opinions by his readings, is a typical trait of semiliterate dictatorial fascism…which acts in the name of various oppressive regimes. I am not a fan of “Zerohedge” but I read it sometimes… I also read the Little Red Book (which does not make me a Maoist ) the Koran (which does not make me a Moslem) and I read many interesting interviews and playmates’ biographies in Playboy, including their filled questionnaires…Their answers were more entertaining and showing a better understanding of the world than the ones of “tdo”, when he joined our board…IMHO. Anyway, I hope that reading Playboy does not make me a voyeur…

Keep on the good work guys and read whatever you want!