Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

05/09/2020 Market Outlook - Example of a members only report

Cobra
Site Admin

05/09/2020 Market Outlook - Example of a members only report

Post by Cobra »

The Chinese version can be found HERE: http://www.hutong9.net/forum.php?mod=vi ... tid=431050

Still some up rooms in the short term, very likely will break above the Apr 29 high at $294.88, possibly at least touching the MA200, after which, SHOULD start another leg down to test the Mar 23 low.
TheForecast.png
Why "very likely will break above the Apr 29 high at $294.88"?

Two reasons:
  • Very high NYADV usually means a higher high ahead. The record was made on Apr 29 at which time the SPY daily high was $294.88. NYADV is the NYSE advancing issues, generally on an up day the more the stronger the up momentum it is.
NYADVHigh.png
  • SPY monthly was up in Apr which means 81% chances the May monthly bar will break above the Apr bar high which was at $294.88.
SPYMonthly.png
Why " possibly at least touching the MA200"?

Technical analysis is based on "history repeats itself", so let's take a look at where the rebounds usually went in a bear market (when SPY was way below the MA200). From the charts below, it's very clear that all the rebounds in a bear market ended near the MA200.
MA200Target2008.png
MA200Target2000.png
Now let's take a look at where SPY is now relative to its MA200. Close enough to be an obvious target, right? I know it's very late to mention the MA200 now but the report here is meant for a demo of how my daily report looks like. In the actual report, I mentioned the MA200 target way earlier. Why MA200 is so important? Because lots of trading programs use it as a trigger to buy (when pulls back to it after long time above it) or to sell (when rebounds to it after being way below it for awhile) which makes MA200 a typical self-fulfilled prophecy.
SPYNowToMA200.png
Now let's take a look at the S&P 500 index directly, MA200 happens to be around 3000. A round number naturally attracts medias therefore often serves as a magnet which is another example of a self-fulfilled prophecy: Both bulls and bears see the 3000 and therefore are waiting above it to sell so between now to then there's not much selling pressure, the price quickly moves to the number while as soon as the number is met, both parties start to sell which makes the number look like a good resistance.
SPX3000.png
Why "another leg down to test the Mar 23 low"? By the way a good report should always forecast at least 2 steps ahead. Why? If I just mention the target $294.88 and MA200, you might get the impression that I'm bullish. Now with this "next next step", you should have a totally different picture of the market, right?

Let's again, take a look at some of the bottoms after a sharp decline in the past. I put our nowadays chart on the top so you can clear see what we're missing. Basically the movement of the price also follows the rule of inertia, after a very sharp decline, it's very rare the very first rebound would recover all the losses, therefore a bottom, usually at least has to be a double bottom, the bigger the decline the "more number of bottoms" are required.
Why2ndLegDown.png
Yes, I know you probably would mention the 2018 V shaped reversal. You know technical analysis is all about odds. The idea is to always bet on the side that has higher odds, accept willingly the losses are inevitable due to the odds by natural is not 100% guaranteed. Kept thinking maybe this time is different therefore acts accordingly then all the statistics, all the past patterns have no meanings, then why bother to do technical analysis, why don't just "follow your heart"? Actually, say, a V shaped bottom happens around 1 out of the 10, and since it just happened in year 2018 therefore now should be even more unlikely we'll have a V shaped reversal again. I know it's mathematically not right, but, well, let's not argue about this, technical analysis is an art, not science after all, sometimes the Murphy's law or superstitious do work as again they're another example of you human self-fulfilled prophecy.
2018VBottom.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
JFR

Re: 05/09/2020 Market Outlook - Example of a members only re

Post by JFR »

Excellent stuff, Cobra. Thank you.
Charts posted are not recommendations. They are just a sharing of information.
tsf

Post by tsf »

Great stuff. Thank you, Cobra.
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

Higher high fulfilled, it took much longer time than I thought though.
Attachments
1.png

Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

SPX 3000 has been fulfilled.
Attachments
1.png