Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

08/01/2018 Live Update

Trades with cats

Re: 08/01/2018 Live Update

Post by Trades with cats »

ES pausing at it's daily pivot point, haven't seen that in a while. (ES 2815.75) ES pivots based on the 4:15 closing price so your mileage may vary. ;)
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

assume range low.
Attachments
1.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
1der

Post by 1der »

We must be due for some crazy "news tweet"?
News Flash - Aliens (not those kind) have just landed and we cut an interplanetary trade deal with them but we are already in a trade war and are imposing tariffs and another tax cut with help for Space-X (no help for Blue Origin because, well we do not like HIM) - quick spike it up 100 pts.

disclosure: This is a joke even though it seems completely plausible in todays world :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1der

Post by 1der »

PBar 280.98 just tagged
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

old post
ALMANAC: “August Is Worst Performing Month of Year Since 1988”
http://jeffhirsch.tumblr.com/post/17608 ... year-since
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

new range low is the yesterday's low.
Attachments
1.png

MrMiyagi

Post by MrMiyagi »

NYMO at -40.
1der

Post by 1der »

FB 5 second chart, yes 5 seconds
Spiked from 171.73 to 172.98 volume went from around 1900 shares per 5 second bar to 171K in the spike bar.
2018-08-01_9-03-07.jpg
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

breaking:
reuters
treasury just proposed new rules on repatriating $2.6 TRILLION of corporate income overseas
I can’t find details yet
Disclaimer: I am not an investment advisor. This is just my opinion NOT investment advice.
QED

Post by QED »

http://www.wsj.com
(Behind Paywall)

U.S. Treasury Plans Increased Auctions to Fund Looming Trillion-Dollar Deficits

The department introduced a new two-month Treasury bill and will consider an additional auction of inflation-protected securities

Updated Aug. 1, 2018 12:21 p.m. ET

The U.S. Treasury Department will step up auctions of U.S. debt by an additional $30 billion over the next three months and introduced a new product—a two-month Treasury bill—as part of its strategy to prepare to finance trillion-dollar government deficits in the years ahead.

From August to October, the Treasury will increase the size of its monthly auctions for two-year, three-year and five-year notes by $1 billion a month, continuing a strategy of gradually increasing the size of auctions at the mid-ranges of the debt that Treasury issues.

The Treasury made the announcement Wednesday in Washington as part of its regular schedule of quarterly refunding statements. Investors and debt analysts said the Treasury’s strategy remains consistent with expectations in the bond market, and that they expect demand to remain steady as auction sizes increase.

“Everyone thinks we won’t have a problem financing trillion-dollar deficits until we have one,” said Brian Edmonds, head of Treasury trading at Cantor Fitzgerald LP.

The Treasury is increasing its borrowing against a backdrop of strong economic growth in the U.S., which has encouraged the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates and to reduce how much it reinvests in the maturing securities in its bond portfolio.

Deficits are poised to soar as government spending has increased and signs point to a softening in tax revenue. The Treasury Department said last month that tax receipts fell 7% in June compared with the same month a year ago, including a 33% drop in gross corporate taxes.

“That’s part of the equation people haven’t been talking about,” said Ian Lyngen, head of U.S. government bond strategy at BMO Capital Markets. “The notion that tax reforms are going to pay for themselves is being tested right now.”

The White House’s Office of Management and Budget said last month that deficits would clock in at about $1 trillion a year from 2019 to 2022.

In total, the Treasury plans to borrow $329 billion in privately held net marketable debt from July to September, and an addition $440 billion in October to December. The Treasury’s Borrowing Advisory Committee, made up of representatives from investment funds and banks, said Wednesday the Treasury would need to continue to ratchet up the size of monthly auctions to fund deficits in coming years.

The advisory committee told the Treasury that Treasury’s recent strategy of increasing its auction sizes has been “more gradual than TBAC’s recommendation” and said that increased debt issuance has “been well absorbed by the market.” The TBAC said that “there may be more capacity to increase issuance in 5-year notes and the longer part of the curve moving forward.”

Many analysts and investors expect these developments will ultimately lead to higher borrowing costs for the U.S. government.

On Wednesday, the yield on the 10-year Treasury climbed above 3% for the first time since June. Shorter-term interest rates have also been rising as the Federal Reserve continues its strategy of gradually raising its target rate.

Because Treasury securities are a benchmark rate that are used to help set interest rates on mortgages, business loans and consumer debt, analysts expect borrowing costs to rise throughout the economy, potentially creating a drag on growth.

“It’s higher rates for everyone,” said Andrew Brenner, head of global fixed-income at NatAlliance Securities.

While Treasury’s strategy of issuing more debt has focused on securities with midrange durations, the Treasury will also make smaller increases in the size of seven-year and 10-year notes, as well as the 30-year bond, which will both increase by $1 billion over the next quarter.

Beginning in October, the Treasury will hold an auction for a new two-month Treasury bill, and the department is also considering adding an additional auction for five-year Treasury inflation-protected securities, known as TIPS.

Write to Josh Zumbrun at Josh.Zumbrun@wsj.com and Daniel Kruger at Daniel.Kruger@wsj.com

:roll:

Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

Smalls intraday
Waiting for TNA shorts to exhaust, cover, and squeeze
aka: “Waiting for Godot”
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

if indeed the yesterday's low is the range low then the current rebound should go all the way to the range high. we'll know soon.
Attachments
1.png

MrMiyagi

Post by MrMiyagi »

Al_Dente wrote:breaking:
reuters
treasury just proposed new rules on repatriating $2.6 TRILLION of corporate income overseas
I can’t find details yet
Appears to be the 15.5% they set out back when Trump started destroying America.
Al_Dente

Re:

Post by Al_Dente »

MrMiyagi wrote:Appears to be the 15.5% they set out back when Trump started destroying America.
thanks boss :D
icman

Post by icman »

Is there FOMC announcement expected? Are we still waiting for the fireworks? Or there is no press conf today?
user13

Re:

Post by user13 »

MrMiyagi wrote:
Al_Dente wrote:breaking:
reuters
I can’t find details yet
Appears to be the 15.5% they set out back when Trump started destroying America.
Please Trump is saving America
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »

Seriously?
WH presser scheduled for 1:00 ET
They are late
Seriously? they are going to compete with FOMC [2:00 ET] ?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/01/watch-w ... ia-pr.html
Trades with cats

Post by Trades with cats »

Most of the corporate overseas money is sitting in dollars in the US market. The repatriation is more of an accounting thing. But there is , in my opinion, good propaganda value in talking about foreign money coming home when the Treasury talks about having to borrow even more money.

Not to be a bore about it but the Fed goes to 30 billion a month in Treasuries run off in October, supposed to be at 24 or 26 right now. Confident we won't hear a word about that (SOMA) today at 2, it will be all about a twitch in interest rates. As the great OZ said, don't look at the little man behind the curtain.
Al_Dente

Post by Al_Dente »