Back to www.cobrasmarketview.com

03/23/2012 Intraday Watering

Cobra
Site Admin

Re: 03/23/2012 Intraday Watering

Post by Cobra »

remember the key to my plan is the rebound cannot go decisively higher high.
Attachments
1.png

Like to read more of my commentaries? Please subscribe my Daily Market Report.
Subscribers can find all the members only posts HERE.
StockCharts members, please vote for me HERE, thanks.
SWalsh

Post by SWalsh »

trader0303 wrote:I know there are some options traders here, so I thought I'd ask...

I've been doing a very simple options strategy for a few months and have had success, and it seems too "low risk" that I must be overlooking something.

I sell a call above the stock price, and sell a put below stock price betting that the stock will stay in the range, and both will expire worthless.

I manage it by if the stock reaches my call price I buy the stock, and sell it if it goes back into my "range" . Inversely if it falls to my put price I short the stock, and cover my short when it rises back above my put price.

So, even if it goes out of my range, my risk is covered. I do this when I have the cash in the account to cover buying or shorting the stock to manage position. What am I missing besides overnight gaps?
A Black Swan that causes a bank holiday? You have, unless I read that incorrectly, a naked credit option position that you wrote. If it were a debit your risk is limited to 100% of your investment, but that is definable.

What happens if the market closes and the stock opens 50% lower? Nassim Taleb, PhD mathematician and money manager who wrote about Black Swan events, always had some type of coverage in the event the unforeseeable happened. There's no need to answer this exactly, but what happens to you, financially, if the market is closed for a week? BTW, he does not define the collapse of the WTC as a Black Swan. After 1993 I predicted they would fly planes in the next time. A friend of mine was retired Secret Service and had escaped the fall by evacuating. On a boat over to NJ he called me to apologize that he had laughed at me often for thinking such a thing could happen. What could happen now? I have no idea. But I chose to not write naked options.
"I told you...................bring me everyone"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTsuvykUZk
knurbs

Post by knurbs »

Nice try with the Head fake. No volume in this market since late morning.
Knurbs
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

made the 1st core I guess.
Attachments
1.png

trader0303

Post by trader0303 »

SWalsh wrote:
trader0303 wrote:I know there are some options traders here, so I thought I'd ask...

I've been doing a very simple options strategy for a few months and have had success, and it seems too "low risk" that I must be overlooking something.

I sell a call above the stock price, and sell a put below stock price betting that the stock will stay in the range, and both will expire worthless.

I manage it by if the stock reaches my call price I buy the stock, and sell it if it goes back into my "range" . Inversely if it falls to my put price I short the stock, and cover my short when it rises back above my put price.

So, even if it goes out of my range, my risk is covered. I do this when I have the cash in the account to cover buying or shorting the stock to manage position. What am I missing besides overnight gaps?
A Black Swan that causes a bank holiday? You have, unless I read that incorrectly, a naked credit option position that you wrote. If it were a debit your risk is limited to 100% of your investment, but that is definable.

What happens if the market closes and the stock opens 50% lower? Nassim Taleb, PhD mathematician and money manager who wrote about Black Swan events, always had some type of coverage in the event the unforeseeable happened. There's no need to answer this exactly, but what happens to you, financially, if the market is closed for a week? BTW, he does not define the collapse of the WTC as a Black Swan. After 1993 I predicted they would fly planes in the next time. A friend of mine was retired Secret Service and had escaped the fall by evacuating. On a boat over to NJ he called me to apologize that he had laughed at me often for thinking such a thing could happen. What could happen now? I have no idea. But I chose to not write naked options.
SWalsh, okay you bring up a very good point that makes me second guess my "brilliant" plan. Thanks for the reply :) But the way I see it.....holding an equity overnight exposes you to the same "black swan" event. Do you never hold an equity overnight without a protective corresponding option?
Last edited by trader0303 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petsamo

Post by Petsamo »

I've always known Fridays to be non-bearish. Da bears made their attack and left early for the weekend
Twitter @jackwag0n
stucap

Post by stucap »

Target -- the channel -- no doubt.

Can't break support must test resistance ASAP even if it's 1% away (from support). I think the market has one of those crazy OCD things about touching things....
Attachments
2012-03-23-TOS_CHARTSchannel.png
Cobra
Site Admin

Post by Cobra »

key time, a decisive higher high then i'll need a new plan. small higher high is ok.
Attachments
1.png

Harapa

Post by Harapa »

IWM is looking good. Break out of what looks like a bullish flag could be significant.
Attachments
iwm.png
Above is provided for informational purposes only and shouldn't be considered an investment advice or recommendation to buy or sell anything.
shumushu

Post by shumushu »

trendy day, looks like market wants to fill the gap at and close the weekly at 1400 or 1404.
uempel

Post by uempel »

Update:
34.png
Petsamo

Post by Petsamo »

Maybe SPY is trying to fill a gap made between Wed & Thurs

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fu ... style=1013
Twitter @jackwag0n
TraderGirl

Post by TraderGirl »

SPX...
Attachments
spx 3 23.png
BullBear52x

Post by BullBear52x »

Harapa wrote:IWM is looking good. Break out of what looks like a bullish flag could be significant.
This is what I got on IWM, one more push, a little strong one. I don't see it will be done today unless they try to gap Monday
Attachments
spy.JPG
My comments are for entertainment/educational purpose only. NOT a trade advice.
Harapa

Post by Harapa »

BullBear52x wrote:
Harapa wrote:IWM is looking good. Break out of what looks like a bullish flag could be significant.
This is what I got on IWM, one more push, a little strong one. I don't see it will be done today unless they try to gap Monday
What do you think of the bullish flag idea?
Above is provided for informational purposes only and shouldn't be considered an investment advice or recommendation to buy or sell anything.
jarbo456

Post by jarbo456 »

ok...who wants to buy TVIX with me now?
TraderGirl

Post by TraderGirl »

NDX looks like it needs another leg down too...
Attachments
ndx 3 23.png
Richarab

Post by Richarab »

jarbo456 wrote:ok...who wants to buy TVIX with me now?
lets do this! all in baby!
xiakeman

Post by xiakeman »

Tvix intrinsic value is still lower
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^tvix-iv&ql=1
jarbo456

Post by jarbo456 »

Richarab wrote:
jarbo456 wrote:ok...who wants to buy TVIX with me now?
lets do this! all in baby!
what an f'n nutty asset...is it now trading below implied value?